WHO IS PAXTEN?

WHO IS PAXTEN?
Paxten Reede Pearson was the daughter of family friends, Blake and Libby. She was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 9 months and lost her battle on January 29, 2012 (just before her 2nd birthday). Her parents started a journal shortly after she was diagnosed. Their posts were raw, honest, and gave very detailed descriptions on Paxten's treatments, struggles, and recovery. Their journal went viral and touched many hearts throughout the midwest. In February, I wanted to do something for the family that not only showed my support for them, but showed support for current, past, and future patients. In March, I decided to sign-up with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and pledged to raise $10,000 in Paxten's memory. (CLICK THE IMAGE TO READ ABOUT PAXTEN'S BATTLE- image courtesy of Mindy Rae Photography)

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Times, They Are a Changin'

It has been quite awhile since I've updated my blog. Life has thrown a few curve balls our way through the last few months. Back in July, I had a small injury occur to my knee which prevented me from training as hard as I wanted to. After that, I had the stupid re-occurring cold of the summer! It was awful. Once I started training again yet another medical issue came by surprise! I woke up one morning, feeling perfectly fine and out of no where I had HORRIBLE abdominal pain. It was so bad that I had to go to the ER. After 6 hours my doctors told me I had 4 kidney stones, 1 blockage in my ureter, and an infection in my entire urinary tract. Definitely not what I wanted to hear after training for 4 months. My doctors told me I was no longer allowed to run the full 13.1 miles because they needed to do more research on what caused my stones. She said I would be allowed to do a run/walk where I run 1-2 miles and walk 3...VERY DISAPPOINTING NEWS! Especially since I wanted to not only reach a life time goal, but reach my promise to Pax. My fundraising was affected by it, unfortunately, because I had to spend time with doctors and working to pay off the medical bills :(. 

But I can say I reached my minimum goal of $1,000 and I will still be able to cross the finish line, regardless if its by walking or running. I've decided to continue my fundraising throughout the year until next year. I'll be able to do longer training and get my body healthy again.

Thank you to EVERYONE who has supported my cause and for making Paxten's story public. There are so many little ones who are suffering from childhood cancer and we need to fight for a cure. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping you all updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment