WHO IS PAXTEN?

WHO IS PAXTEN?
Paxten Reede Pearson was the daughter of family friends, Blake and Libby. She was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 9 months and lost her battle on January 29, 2012 (just before her 2nd birthday). Her parents started a journal shortly after she was diagnosed. Their posts were raw, honest, and gave very detailed descriptions on Paxten's treatments, struggles, and recovery. Their journal went viral and touched many hearts throughout the midwest. In February, I wanted to do something for the family that not only showed my support for them, but showed support for current, past, and future patients. In March, I decided to sign-up with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and pledged to raise $10,000 in Paxten's memory. (CLICK THE IMAGE TO READ ABOUT PAXTEN'S BATTLE- image courtesy of Mindy Rae Photography)

Thursday, May 24, 2012

First Time Runner

Everyone knows how to run, but does everyone know how to run for 13.1 miles? I sure don't. I recently started following "Runners's World" magazine, (thanks to my running mentor Cody!) and they have some amazing tips for first time long distance runners. One thing I was never aware of was the concept of "Carbing Up" before a long run. Eating carbs the day before your long run is highly recommended, because you increasing the energy you need to make it to the end. If you think about it, your body roughly burns 100-200 calories a mile(sometimes more depending on how hard you run). I'll be running 13.1 miles, so in theory I will be burning roughly 1300 calories. If I don't store the energy needed to burn 1300 calories I could seriously injure myself and I may not make it to the finish line. So, where do I go from here?

 Well, according to Runner's World, you should carb load the night before and 3 hour before a run. Here's the problem, my long distance runs are going to be at 6:00am.... let's be honest, I like my sleep. If I could hibernate, I would and I'm sure as heck not getting up at 3:00am to eat! So I found some solutions that will help :).

FIRST: I could do a light weight, high carb breakfast before bed, which actually be nice considering I work as a server during normal dinner hours and I generally don't have the opportunity to eat before 10pm. Most of the recipes I've found are perfect! They are designed to fill you up, without interrupting your sleep.

  • A bowl of cereal with milk and fruit
  • A yogurt (I love Greek yogurt), milk and fruit smoothie
  • A glass of milk with 1 waffle with syrup and fruit
  • An egg and ham sandwich
  • A peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich with a large glass of water
I feel like all of these would be perfect! They are all high in nutrients and aren't too heavy.

SECOND: I need to remember that fueling up AFTER a long run is important. I found a great recipe for a Minestrone soup that is high in vitamin K, fiber, and folate.

INGREDIENTS:
  •  2 quarts of vegetable broth
  • 1 14.5-ounce can petite-diced tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 1 celery stalk diced
  • 1 peeled carrot diced
  • 2 teaspoons italian seasonings
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
  • 2 cans (15-16 ounces each) small white beans NOT DRAINED
  • 8 ounces frozen green peas
  • 1 cup ditalini pasta
  • 8 ounces of chopped escarole (very similar to lettuce)
Microwave broth and tomatoes together on high until steaming (about 5 minutes)

Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot and add onions, celery, and carrots. Sautee for 5 minutes and add italian seasonings, peper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Add broth micture and remaining ingredients and cover of medium-low heat. Simmer, stirring occassionally, until vegatbles are soft and pasta is tender.

This amount should serve 8 people

CALORIES PER SERVING: 220
CARBS: 41g
FIBER: 10g
PROTEIN: 10g
FAT: 4g


As always, keep sharing the blog and get the word out for Paxten :) The more we can raise, the more we can help!


No comments:

Post a Comment