WHO IS PAXTEN?

WHO IS PAXTEN?
Paxten Reede Pearson was the daughter of family friends, Blake and Libby. She was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 9 months and lost her battle on January 29, 2012 (just before her 2nd birthday). Her parents started a journal shortly after she was diagnosed. Their posts were raw, honest, and gave very detailed descriptions on Paxten's treatments, struggles, and recovery. Their journal went viral and touched many hearts throughout the midwest. In February, I wanted to do something for the family that not only showed my support for them, but showed support for current, past, and future patients. In March, I decided to sign-up with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and pledged to raise $10,000 in Paxten's memory. (CLICK THE IMAGE TO READ ABOUT PAXTEN'S BATTLE- image courtesy of Mindy Rae Photography)

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Fundraising Opportunities

I know most of you originally started to follow my blog because I was posting about my weightloss journey. Well I have recently decided that my blog will be dedicated to both my weightloss and my progress with T.E.A.M. (Train, Endure, Achieve, Matter) in Training.

First of all, this has been an amazing 30 days. Not only have I lost a total of 8 pounds (mostly because of my running but I'll go into details here in a minute), but I have sold over 117 Crush Cancer wristbands, with a profit of $100 so far; I have created an amazing network with such kind hearted people, designed a t-shirt, and came up with a few other fundraising opportunities.

One of the opportunities is to send letters to large companies, small businesses, and individuals. If you are wondering what my letter says here it is-I removed some of my information for online purposes :) (Thank you Susan Fleming for giving me a template to work off of):
The main purpose of my letter is not to gain money, but to touch people's hearts. I don't think people realize how often a person is affected by a blood cancer. In the time it's taken you to read this far into my post, 1 person has been diagnosed, FYI. Obviously I am hoping to gain a donation, but I want people to realize that they have a purpose. They have an opportunity to help someone they have never met and to better the life of at least 1 patient and their family. Life is OBVIOUSLY too short to waste, so let's make the best of it.

I have been trying to think of how I can make donations while giving people something people can use, my wristbands was my first idea. It is a way to bring AWARENESS. My second idea was the t-shirts. It is going to bring SUPPORT for all those affected by blood cancers, specifically Paxten. Now I'm going to make a sugar body scrub and homemade ceramic coasters. I believe this will bring HAPPINESS. Every time someone uses either of them, they will think about their kind gesture and think about how their money has helped someone in need.

I have dedicated myself to running at least 10-15 miles per week. Not only will this help me reach my weightloss goal, but its reminding me that I'm running for those who can't run anymore. The other thing I will be doing will be to donate plasma. Sure I'm getting paid for it, but 100% of my pay will go towards my monetary goal. I will not only being saving lives with my plasma, but also be helping current patients affected by cancer, burns, HIV, and other immune difficiencies.

I have decided to challenge myself even more. I have changed my fundraising goal to $10,000. I really want to make a difference and I really want to help continue Paxten's fight! Please help me by spreading the word about my blog and all of my fundraising ideas. The more support I have, the more likely I'm able to achieve my monetary goal and help more patients. We can also bring more awareness about blood cancers and get more people involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment