WHO IS PAXTEN?

WHO IS PAXTEN?
Paxten Reede Pearson was the daughter of family friends, Blake and Libby. She was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 9 months and lost her battle on January 29, 2012 (just before her 2nd birthday). Her parents started a journal shortly after she was diagnosed. Their posts were raw, honest, and gave very detailed descriptions on Paxten's treatments, struggles, and recovery. Their journal went viral and touched many hearts throughout the midwest. In February, I wanted to do something for the family that not only showed my support for them, but showed support for current, past, and future patients. In March, I decided to sign-up with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and pledged to raise $10,000 in Paxten's memory. (CLICK THE IMAGE TO READ ABOUT PAXTEN'S BATTLE- image courtesy of Mindy Rae Photography)

Monday, April 30, 2012

One word... GRATEFUL

Today my post is going to be about how doing this half marathon has affected me as a person. First off, I never in a million years would have thought I would be this successful with a fundraiser. I had this idea that I would struggle with raising the money, having people take this fundraiser seriously, and most of all, achieving my monetary goals. It is absolutely amazing to have so many people stand behind me. People I grew up with, people who are close to the Pearson family, people who have never met me but are inspired by my cause...It's truely a remarkable thing. I had to take a step back and evaluate the situation I'm in. I'm not just doing this for Blake, Libby, and Paxten now, I'm doing this for all of the people who were touched by their story and wish they could have done more, for the people who are currently fighting the treturous battle, for the people who have HOPE, STRENGTH, and PASSION that one day we will find a cure. The money I raise doesn't just help the current patients, but future patients. This is a very humbling experience.

Yesterday on my run this is what I thought about it. I may be complaining that legs are sore and I don't think I have the energy to run anymore, but then I realize, I'm running for those who can't. I have never been more motivated to accomplish something.

In my first month of fundraising I have raised $720. Within the last week I have created 2 fundraising events, designed CRUSH CANCER wristbands, designed homemade ceramic tiles, and helped design a T-shirt for my run. I know I will reach my goal and I know Pax is smiling down.

Please join me at the first fundraising event:


No comments:

Post a Comment