WHO IS PAXTEN?

WHO IS PAXTEN?
Paxten Reede Pearson was the daughter of family friends, Blake and Libby. She was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 9 months and lost her battle on January 29, 2012 (just before her 2nd birthday). Her parents started a journal shortly after she was diagnosed. Their posts were raw, honest, and gave very detailed descriptions on Paxten's treatments, struggles, and recovery. Their journal went viral and touched many hearts throughout the midwest. In February, I wanted to do something for the family that not only showed my support for them, but showed support for current, past, and future patients. In March, I decided to sign-up with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and pledged to raise $10,000 in Paxten's memory. (CLICK THE IMAGE TO READ ABOUT PAXTEN'S BATTLE- image courtesy of Mindy Rae Photography)

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Runs, Weights, and Goals

I recently decided to run a Half Marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. There are many reasons why I decided to run. First off, it has always been on my bucket list to run a half marathon or a full marathon. There is nothing more rewarding than pushing your body to limit and crossing over that finish line.
The second reason I wanted to do this is because blood cancers have become more apparent within the last few years than any other cancers. This year a friend of the family lost their daughter to Leukemia. She was almost 2 years old and I will absolutely be running in her memory. There are so many patients and families that need the financial help to get the necessary treatment and there still needs to be more funding to help find a cure!
The final reason, which is my number one reason, is that I want to take advantage of the life I have. Life is definitely too short to not take advantage of wonderful opportunities and who's to say that tomorrow won't be my last! I want to pay it forward and do what I can now to help those in need while helping myself.
The half marathon will take place October 14, 2012. My goal is to raise $1,500 by then. In theory I would love to say I have a goal time to complete the half in, but in all honesty..... I just want to cross the finish line without collapsing. I'm extremely excited and nervous! For those of you that don't know how long a half marathon is.. well.. drumroll please... IT'S 13.1 MILES! AH! I will definitely blog about my training and what all I'm doing :)
For those of you interested in donating or helping me reach my goal, there is a link on the right hand side of the page :) Thank you for your contributions in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment